E-D's Easy Chocolate Fondant
50g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
2 tsp cocoa powder, to dust
50g good quality bitter chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), in pieces
1 free range egg
1 free range egg yolk
60g caster sugar
50g plain flour, sifted
Icing sugar, to dust
Vanilla ice cream to serve
1. Preheat oven to 160°C/Gas 3.
2. Butter four ramekins (about 7.5cm in diameter), then dust liberally with cocoa, shaking out
any excess. If possible I recommend the kitchen craft moulds (as pictured).
3. Slowly melt the chocolate and butter in a small bowl set over a pan of hot water, then take off the heat and stir until smooth. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Using an electric whisk, whisk the egg yolk, whole egg, and sugar together until pale and
thick, then incorporate the chocolate mixture. Fold in the flour. Divide the chocolate mixture
between the moulds and bake for 9-10 minutes (depending on your oven).
5. Turn the chocolate fondants out on to warmed plates. Dust the tops with icing sugar and
serve with a a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
A glass of cold milk is a must have with this fondant as far as I'm concerned.
More importantly...this dessert once perfected is a great one for your 'Culinary Bag of Tricks!'
Once perfected it's easy to whip up. The key to it is the timing! You NEED to time it with a
stopwatch!!! 1-2 minutes too long and the delicious melted chocolate goo at the centre of the
fondant will solidify and form a boring plain 'aul chocolate sponge!! Not so impressive. After
lots of research and debate in my house its has been agreed that the Kitchen Craft Moulds
below are a solid investment! I picked these ones up in Meadows & Byrnes but they are also
available on Amazon for under €10. See the link below for a look!