On the 'Juice Day' Moira emphasized the importance of veggie juices as well as fruit juices. You might think vegetable juices....eh no thanks, but actually when mixed with the right ingredients juiced vegetables can be just as delicious as fruit juices. As you all know I have a sweet tooth, so I was a little apprehensive at first, but I have to say I've been converted. Over the next few days I'll be trying a combination of both fruit and vegetable juices.....don't chicken out just because it sounds a bit weird, juicing can be very surprising and the majority of the time you will be pleasantly surprised!
The juicer I use is the Philips HR1861/00 Professional Aluminium Juicer which retails at about €99. This juicer is a centrifugal juicer. You don't have to peel your fruit or vegetables, you simple place them straight down the chute! It is easy to clean and is dishwasher safe. All in all this is a perfect starter juicer. Mine even came with a free Jason Vale 'Juice Master' recipe book, which is so useful when getting started.
The question is why not! Juicing is needless to say really good for you and allows you to acquire a multitude of really beneficial vitamins and minerals really easily. I learnt a lot last weekend with Moira about the role of enzymes in our bodies and their benefits. Fresh juices are packed full of enzymes. When we drink juices we assimilate vitamins and minerals very easily. When we eat fruit although it is still really good for us, our bodies have to work a little harder to break down the fruit and work it through our digestive systems. Moira emphasized that incorporating juicing into your everyday lifestyle can be really simple if you want it to be! What I really like is when I am juicing I can see exactly what is in my drink and I know that there isn't anything 'extra' in it to preserve it! The juices I make myself taste so different to ones I buy. They are packed with flavour and are really tasty and refreshing!
Anything else I need to know?
If your planning on taking up juicing and you want to bring your juices to work, it is really important to pick up an air tight container which also blocks out light. Light and air will destroy the vitamins and minerals in juice over a relatively short period of time. These aluminium bottles from Dealz are a steal at just €1.49 and do the job perfectly!
- Check out the Mind Experts Academy Website for some of Moira's other work as well as upcoming 'Juice Days': http://www.moirageary.com/
- The Philips Juicer I am using is available from Argos at a special price of €99 at the moment.
- The key to juicing is being prepared, I've stock up well this week making sure I have lots of fruit and vegetables to juice. Fail to prepare.....prepare to fail!
- Aluminium Bottles: http://www.dealz.ie/search/?q=bottle&searchSubmit=
- Philips Juicer: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4225427.htm
- Moira Geary's Website; Mind Experts Academy: http://www.moirageary.com/