225g self-raising flour
4 large eggs
4 drops of vanilla extract
Jam of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 190C. Line a 28x18cm tin with greaseproof paper, creating a pleat in
the centre of the tin with the greaseproof paper (as pictured).
2. Beat together the butter and sugar in a free-standing mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add in a few drops of vanilla essence, then beat in the eggs a little at a time.
4. Fold in the flour and then place half of the mixture in a separate bowl. Add a few drops
of pink colouring to one half of the mixture and stir in well.
5. Place the the coloured mixture on one side of the pleat and the non coloured mixture on
the other side. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool. Cut each cake in half, lengthways (trim the
cake so they are exactly the same size).
7. Spread the jam on the sides of the cake and assemble together in alternating colours.
Once assembled spread jam on the outside of the cake too.
8. Roll out the marzipan on a sugared board to a size of approximately 30x25cm. Spread
with jam and wrap the marzipan around the cake, trimming any excess.
Credit where credit is due...thanks so much to Shaud for the use of her hands and helping me type today and constructing this beautiful Battenburg!