Home-made Cheese Bagels
with Bacon, Sun-dried Tomatoes & Goats Cheese
300ml warm water
1 x 7g sachet fast-action yeast
1 tsp salt
pinch caster sugar
550g strong white flour
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 egg, beaten
Grated cheddar cheese (couple of handfuls)
1. Mix the water, yeast, salt and sugar together in a large bowl. Then add the flour and oil,
mixing together until a dough forms . (You can add some grated cheese to the dough if you
want a cheesey flavour throughout the bagel).
2. Knead for 10 minutes before dividing into 9 equal pieces. Make each ball of dough into a
bun and using your thumb, make a hole in the middle and gently rotate to form a bagel shape.
3. Place the bagels on 2 oiled baking trays. Leave to rise for 50-80 minutes in a warm, draught-
free place covered with a clean tea towel, or until doubled in size.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease 2 baking trays and bring a large pot of water to the boil.
Gently place each bagel into the water, turn them over every minute or so. After 2-3 minutes
of boiling, put each bagel on a rack to dry slightly and drain any excess water.
5. Then put the bagels on the greased baking trays and glaze with the beaten egg. Sprinkle
with cheese and bake for 15 minutes. At this point, turn the bagel over and bake for a further
5-10 minutes, until golden.
1. Grill 2 pieces of bacon until crispy.
2. Finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
3. Toast the bagel and spread the goats cheese on the hot bagel.
4. Put it all together and devour!
- 'Make Bake Love' by Lilly Higgins is undoubtedly a must have for the budding baker's
bookshelf. It is filled with mouthwatering recipes, beautiful pictures and is very well put
together. The book is available on Amazon and in all good bookshops in Ireland/U.K.
- Being honest bagels might be a little bit time consuming for a weeknight. They are not had
work, or difficult but between allowing the dough rise and boiling them, a stay-at home Sunday
might be a perfect time to make these. That way you will be very organised and have bagels
for the week ahead. Excellent!
Remember to enter my Make-Up Mania Give-away for your chance to win a 'Make-Up Mania Collection'....including a GOSH palette for free! What's the catch you ask? There is none! The competition is open to everyone, everywhere. Click on the link (right) to see the details.