Posh Irish Porter Cake
1 cup of porter or stout (Guinness)
1 tsp baking powder
55g chopped mixed peel
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1. Sieve flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl (or free-standing mixer).
2. Add the sugar and nutmeg.
3. Rub in butter finely using your fingertips (or using the mixer on a medium speed).
4. Next mix in the sultanas,and mixed peel.
5. Beat the eggs and add the porter or stout to them, then pour into the dry ingredients.
6. Finally, bake in a well greased tin for 1.5 hours at 190°C.
- If you don't live with a savage or if you have an ounce of self control, this cake will last several
weeks if kept in a tin or airtight container in a cool dry place.
- Get organised, over the few weeks, rustle a couple of these cakes up and have them ready for
- You can serve porter cake sliced on its own, own with a little butter.