I've had a busy week planning and putting together this Batman cake at the request of a very lucky 4 year old boy. This cake encompasses all things Batman, from the man himself, to the buildings of Gotham city which line the sides of the cake and the Batman badge gleaming on the front.
The cake itself is a 12 inch round cake, made of white chocolate and marshmallow rice krispie cake. The cake was left to set and then smothered in a delicious white chocolate ganache. The ganache helps fill in all the gaps that are unavoidable with a rice krispie cake, so that when it comes to applying the fondant you can achieve a smooth and even finish. I coloured some white fondant by hand and achieved this dull sky blue colour for the base covering of the cake. Using a measuring tape I measured the diameter and height of the cake, and added the width and height x 2 to ensure I rolled out enough fondant to the correct diameter to cover the cake neatly. Next using a combination of grey and blue, I cut out some shapes to represent the silhouette of the Gotham city skyline, which I then decorated with yellow, grey and black squares to represent illuminated windows.
Rice Krispie Cake (12 inch cake)
750g Rice Krispies
100g White Chocolate
5 tablespoons of golden syrup
300g Large Marshmallows
1. Melt the butter, white chocolate, and marshmallows together in a very large saucepan over a
2. Once melted, add the golden syrup and a few drops of food colouring if desired.
3. Finally stir in the rice krispies and mix well until the marshmallow mixture is well distributed,
and the krispies are well coated.
White Chocolate Ganache
260g White Chocolate
1. Melt the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of boiling water.
2. Meanwhile, heat the cream gently until it reaches simmering point.
3. Gently stir the white chocolate into the heated cream.
4. Allow to cool, and spread onto the cake using a palette knife.