120g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
100g dark chocolate (chopped)
280g icing sugar
3-4 drops of peppermint flavouring
40g of dark chocolate (grated finely)
1. Preheat the oven to 170C. Put the flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a free-standing mixer fitted
(or use a handheld electric mixer) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency
and everything is well combined.
2. Whisk the milk, egg, and mint together in a separate bowl, then slowly pour about half into
the flour mixture, beat to combine, and turn the mixture up to high speed to get rid of any
3. Turn the mixture down to a slower speed and slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture
Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the batter is smooth but do not over-mix.
Next stir in the chopped chocolate pieces by hand and make sure they are well dispersed
throughout the mixture.
4. Place the mixture into the prepared paper cases until two-thirds full.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake bounces back when touched. Allow
the cupcakes to cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the frosting
Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a free-standing electric mixer (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture is well combined. Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and add the milk and peppermint flavouring. Add the finely grated chocolate (I use my Microplane for this). Turn up the speed and continue beating until light fluffy (approximately 3 minutes).
- If it is your first time using peppermint flavouring be warned....a little really does go a long
way. Add the flavouring slowly, and a little at a time to ensure that the flavour doesn't become
too over powering.
- When making the mint butter cream frosting, remember the longer you beat the frosting for,
the lighter and fluffier it will become.