Lemon Madeira Cake
Ingredients (for a 9 inch square cake)
520g self-raising flour
6 eggs (beaten)
3 lemons (juice and zest)
1. Beat together the sugar and butter until pale and creamy.
2. Add the beaten egg a little at a time.
3. Add the lemon juice and zest of 2 lemons and mix well.
4. Finally fold in the flour and mix gently until all the ingredients are combined.
5. Spoon the mixture into a lined tin and cook in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes at 180C.
To check the cake is ready, dip a sharp knife into the centre of the cake and continue to cook
until the knife comes out clean.
Lemon Buttercream Icing
300g icing sugar
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Mix all ingredients togther using a handheld mixer until light and fluffy.
- The cake features a colourful kite which I modelled out of fondant icing. Colouring fondant can
be quite time consuming, but I always leave left over colours in sealed bags for odds and
ends on different cakes. Once the icing isn't exposed to air it will keep for some time, and
save you a lot of time!
- I achieved the 'cloudy' or marbled effect on the cake by twisting a blue and white sausage of
fondant together repeatedly until achieving the desired effect
- The lettering was achieved by cutting out a selection of different coloured circles and choosing
complimenting colours and letter cutters to write the message.