For the shortcrust pastry
170g plain flour
3-4 tbsp of cold water
For the filling
1 onion (chopped)
6 slices of smoked back bacon (sliced)
50g cheddar cheese (grated)
Salt and Pepper to season
For the pastry
1. Rub the butter into the flour using fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Work
quickly to try and keep everything cold.
2. Add a little water, and using a knife, bring the mixture together until it forms a dough.
3. Place the dough in cling film and put in the fridge for 20 minutes before rolling out.
4. Roll out the pastry and place in a well greased 8 inch fluted flan tin, trimming the edges of
any excess pastry. Prick the pastry all over with a fork. Fill the pastry with baking beans and
bake in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes (this is called baking the pastry blind).
For the Filling
1. Fry off the bacon until crisp. Add the onions and fry until softened. Finally add the spinach
and heat until wilted.
2. Beat together the eggs, cream and milk. Season well with salt and pepper.
3. Remove the pastry case from the oven and remove baking beads. Fill the pastry case with
the the bacon, onion and spinach. Pour the cream and milk mixture over the other
ingredients. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the quiche.
4. Place in the oven at 180C for 30 minutes or until the quiche is set.
- Like a always say, my list of ingredients is a guide, if you have some mushrooms, asparagus
or other vegetables in the fridge you want to incorporate into the quiche, go ahead and see
what you come up with.