My two week long break is finally drawing to a close and I have the irksome sound of my alarm to look forward to tomorrow morning. March has come to a close and I am welcoming April with open arms in hope of a rise in the temperature outside. Ireland's coldest March since records began....no surprises there then! I had a really lovely Easter break in the west with Molly in tow, and we ate so much chocolate yesterday I don't know how we managed to save room for this delicious dessert, but we did! This creamy lemon number was a big hit with the whole family and is was the perfect finale to our Easter feast.
Creamy Lemon Mousse
4 eggs (separated)
3 lemons (juice and zest)
14g powdered gelatine
75ml of water
300ml double cream
Basil or mint (to decorate)
1. Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, zest and juice until well combined.
2. Prepare the gelatine by placing the water in a saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatine into the
water and place over a gentle heat until the powder dissolves, without stirring. Remove from
the heat once dissolved and set aside to cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile whip the cream into soft peaks and then stir in the gelatine. Next fold the cream
into the lemon mixture.
4. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until they resemble stiff peaks. Submerge the
lemon mixture in a basin of ice cold water and add the stiffened egg whites, mixing until well
5. Place the mixture into ramekins or glasses and chill for at least 2 hours. Garnish with mint or
basil leaves before serving.
This dessert is incredibly easy and is perfect for dinner parties where you want to spend time with your guests and not in the kitchen all night.