A gloomy day in Dublin today but it didnt deter me from getting into my kitchen this evening to whip up some 'happy' food. As the saying goes, when life gives you lemons....make..Lemon cookies? However in my case it was more Aldi than 'life', as I picked up some lemons for a nifty 35 cent this week on their 'Super 6' offer. Sometimes a sugar fix is just what you need, and if sugar is your vice, then these chewy lemon sugar cookies are the perfect fix. These cookies boast the perfect combination of chewy and crunchy alongside a zesty lemon flavour. I am a big biscuit fan and nothing tops off an evening like a nice cup of tea with an incredibly delicious biscuits or cookie. The key is to hide a few away for yourself so other people don't find them. After an exceptionally long day in work and a gym session I'm pretty sure I've earned it!
Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
280g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
300g sugar (plus an extra 30g for rolling)
60g cream cheese
Zest of 1 large lemon
80ml sunflower oil
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablepoons of lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Place the flour, baking soda, baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine the lemon zest, sugar and cream cheese. Pour the melted butter over the mixture
and combine well using a handheld mixer. Next add the oil, egg, lemon juice and milk and the
cream cheese mixture and mix well until combined.
3. Fold the dry ingredients in and combine using a wooden spoon.
4. Place the additional 30g of sugar in a bowl. Create a dough ball using two heaped
teaspoons of the mixture and then roll in the sugar and place on a baking tray
5. Cook at 180C for 12 minutes or until crisp on the edges and cracked in the middle.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes on the tray, before transferring to a wire rack to cool
- These cookies will keep well in an air tight container or tin for 3-4 days.