I can only apologise for my absence over the past few days, but I was struck down with tummy troubles again, which meant my interest in eating was at an all time low, so needless to say, baking and cooking wasn't too high on the priority list. After bed rest and a little TLC from my better half I am on the mend and dare I say I'm looking forward to returning to work tomorrow.
Another lazy Sunday today catching up on the housework and getting ready for the busy week ahead. We had a beautiful roast dinner with the in laws which was a nice transition back to normal food. I am a stickler for bringing dessert on Sundays and today was no exception even though I knew I wouldn't be up to eating much. All the same, these cinnamon and chocolate gooey squares were a big hit with barely a crumb left by the time we left. Somewhere between a brownie and a blondie, these chewy squares are absolutely incredible, particularly when served warm with a nice cold, glass of milk.
Brown Butter Cinnamon Squares
200g brown sugar
100g granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
100g milk chocolate (chopped)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 26 x 18 cm baking dish.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat until browned. Then set aside to cool.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together with the vanilla extract and set aside.
4. Next add the brown and white sugar to the butter mixture mixing well. Then incorporate the
5. Add the flour and baking soda a to the mixture, incorporating well.
6. Finally press the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar,
before placing in the oven and baking for 25-30 minutes or until baked through.