Over the past week I have been making a really conscious effort to omit excess sugar from my diet. My sugar addiction had reached a new high when I was craving skittles and cakes by 10.30am in work, not a good look. I knew that something had to give. As many of my readers know I am a big fan of all things sweet so I can reveal that in essence the first two days of my sugar free life were exceptionally difficult. However as day three rolled around the cravings began to subside and my sugar free situation became less grim and depressing. This evening I decided to do something a little foreign to me, I made myself a non-sweet treat. These muffins have a lovely crisp texture on top, filled with the delicious flavours of salted bacon teamed with creamy brie. If that doesn't sound wonderful enough, you can of course marry this flavour combination with a generous teaspoon of tomato relish....genius.
I know they say 'everything in moderation' and what do you know they were right, there is life after sugar! Don't get me wrong, I definitely wouldn't be cut out for a sugar free life but I think having a little less sugar, a little more often, may just be the key to appreciating sugary heaven that little bit more.
Brie & Bacon Muffins with Spinach
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp sugar
6 rashers (cut into small pieces)
100g brie cheese (diced)
2 eggs (beaten)
50g butter (melted)
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line 2 cupcake trays with muffin cases. This recipe will
yield enough mixture to make approximately 10 muffins.
2. Fry off the bacon in a pan until crisp.
3. Place the brie and milk in a bowl and mash together. Next add the sugar, flour, melted butter
and beaten eggs and stir the mixture to bring it together.
4. Remove the bacon pieces from the pan and add to the mixture. Place the spinach in the pan
and allow to wilt before adding to the muffin mixture.
5. Fill the paper cases until 3/4 full. Place in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden.